Southwick Hall comprises architecture of many centuries, notably the 14th, 16th, 18th and 19th. Although altered many times, the house still retains much of its original medieval layout, and as the local limestone and Collyweston slates have been used throughout, the various styles blend harmoniously.
Southwick Hall has been the home of three inter-related families. The Knyvetts, (or Knyvets) 1300-1441 who built the medieval manor house which was then known as Knyvett's Place. The Lynns (or Lynnes) 1441-1840 later rebuilt, on the foundations of the medieval Great Hall, that part of the house which now forms the main south front.
The Caprons have lived here since then until the present day. In 1870 they rebuilt the east wing, making it into two storeys. They also built the stables block. In 1909 a more impressive entrance to the house was made through the undercroft or crypt
Please check the website for further information, admission times and details for our special eventsVisit website