The Garden of the Year Award recognises beautiful gardens with public appeal, many of which are lovingly tended for by house owners themselves.
This prestigious national award has been presented annually since 1984. It is designed to recognise the importance of some of the country’s most spectacular gardens with outstanding horticultural and public appeal.
The Garden of the Year is not judged by professional gardeners, it is voted for by Historic Houses members who judge the gardens purely based on their enjoyment.
- 2016 Caerhays Castle, Cornwall
- 2015 Renishaw Hall, Derbyshire
- 2014 Bowood House, Wiltshire
- 2013 Dalemain, Cumbria
- 2012 Abbotsbury Subtropical Garden, Dorset
- 2011 Castle Howard, North Yorkshire
- 2009 Chenies Manor House, Buckinghamshire
- 2008 Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire
- 2007 Houghton Hall, Norfolk
- 2006 Bourton House Gardens, Gloucestershire
- 2005 Burton Agnes Hall, East Yorkshire
- 2004 Borde Hill Gardens, West Sussex
- 2003 Kiftsgate Court, Gloucestershire
- 2002 West Dean Gardens, West Sussex
- 2001 Exbury Gardens, Hampshire
- 2000 Cottesbrooke Hall, Northamptonshire